William Leman subscribed to Kirby’s Historical Account. The Lemans were an old and well-established Suffolk family, with a main seat at Brampton. William Leman (1704—1789) himself was a lawyer, and lived at Beccles, but he was buried at Brampton. William was the eldest son of William Leman and Elizabeth Starling (or Sterling), who was presumably related to the Elizabeth Starling who married Samuel Pallant in 1739. William married a cousin, Sarah Leman. Sarah’s brother, Robert, was High Sheriff of Suffolk in 1744, and his wife was Mary, the daughter of the excellently-named Nunn Prettyman of Laxfield and brother of Nunn Prettyman, Rector of Brampton, whose patron was the Lemans.
William and Sarah had three daughters, and when the last of Robert Leman’s children died in 1807, it was one of their grandsons, Naunton Thomas Orgill, Rector of Brampton, who inherited the property, and took the Leman family name.