One of Joshua Kirby’s earliest known works is a depiction of the White Hart Inn at Scole in Norfolk, just across the border from his native Suffolk. The White Hart Inn was a coaching inn that was famous for its enormous sign that stretched across the road, was large enough for coaches to pass underneath, and contained a mass of carving, mostly life-sized. The sign was supposedly built in 1655 for James Peck, owner of the building, at the astronomical price of £1057. John Fossey engraved Kirby’s depiction and the prints were issued in 1740. The engraving measured 17.5″x22″ and included detailed representation of the sign with all its figures at a scale of half an inch to a foot. After Kirby’s death, the engraving was reprinted in Volume 2 of M.J. Armstrong’s 10-volume History and Antiquities of the County of Norfolk (1781).
The Inn was also known for having had a large round bed that could accommodate up to 40 people.
The building still exists, and is still an Inn, although sadly the sign is no more (nor is the bed).