The church of St. Anne on Kew Green was dedicated in 1714, having been built on land donated by Queen Anne, and is celebrating its tercentenary in 2014. Over the course of the three centuries, the church has been enlarged, renovated and altered numerous times. The church website has a useful sequential plan.
The church began as a modest chapel in what is roughly the central portion of the modern façade.
It was then enlarged in 1770 with the addition of two aisles, the northern one being used as part of the church, and the southern aisle as a charity school. This enlargement was designed by Joshua Kirby, and paid for by George III. The southern aisle was later incorporated into the church.
Kirby died in 1774 and was buried near the new southern wall of the church he had re-designed only a few years before, and this portion of the foot print of the building has not altered since then.
Near Kirby’s grave is that of his long-time friend, Thomas Gainsborough:
St. Anne’s also holds the graves of Jeremiah Meyer, miniature painter to the King, and Johan Zoffany.